KRL 370 Ton, 12 Axle, 48′ Straight Deck Flat Car
Kasgro has fourty-nine of these 370 ton capacity flat cars. Deck length is 48 feet with a width of 10 feet 8 inches. Overall length between the coupler pulling faces is just over 78 feet, and maximum gross weight is 945,000 pounds. The car is supported by six, 125 ton trucks using 38” wheels. With this open deck and large load capacity, many types of loads can be seen on this car. Some examples include large power generators, steam turbines, and heat exchangers for the petro-chemical industry. Most prototype loads are welded directly to the deck, and do not use cables or chains.
Our HO scale model captures all of the prototype features and detail while designed for operation. Magnets are utilized in the body to hold loads securely in place, but allows you to remove the load to run the car empty, or swap with other loads quickly and easily adding variety. The car measures 10 ¾” between the coupler faces, weighs approximately 4.5 ounces empty, and will run on 20” radius curves with or without a load. Please note that on such tight curves, the model and load will not always meet the NMRA clearance standards. A good rule-of-thumb is if an 89′ autorack car runs fine on the track, then this car should also run as well.
The model is produced as a kit which assembles easily, and includes everything you need to complete the car other than CA glue, paint, and a few hand tools. A complete list of features and details are listed below.
Loads are available separately.
Not a kit builder? We will offer a limited quantity of fully assembled models starting late October 2019. We are not able to take reservations at this time, but a link to order will be added by the end of September.
- Strong polymer plastic body, end platforms, and span bolsters
- 125 Ton Trucks with bearing points already “tuned”
- Truck sideframes use metal springs already installed
- 38″ Semi-scale Metal Wheelsets
- Stainless Steel Grab Irons and Levers
- Kadee “Scale” Whisker ® couplers
- Full brake system details
- Car body is pre-assembled with magnets and weight already installed
- Span Bolsters have limited travel to aid placing in the box and placing on the track
- Will negotiate curves down to 20 inches without derailing or losing stability with or without a load
- Custom Micro Scale Decals that include 3 different road numbers used by Kasgro
- Reflective tape from Smokebox Graphics
- Box with custom foam inserts to store and transport your assembled model safely